Thursday, January 29, 2009

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (1/20/09)

Finally, me and John Krasinski meet! I knew the day would come, I just didn't know when. I will tell you, in person he has gorgeous hair and the skinniest legs I have ever seen on a man. I do not care, his personality and humor as just like his alter ego Jim, and I am in love. Mmmm.

I wish I was as enthusiastic about his film as I was meeting him. I didn't hate it, but I wish it could have gone on for a few more hours. Once again, I feel like it asked a lot of questions and I never received the answers. I understand that, unlike Hollywood films, independent ones are intended to make you think, make you question, etc. This movie, however, seemed to jump all over the place and never stayed in one spot and explain each situation.

That said, this movie was made fantastically. Krasinski shows his talents aren't just in acting, but in directing as well. He picked a great cast that conveyed everything he wanted them to. They each were convincing in their roles as a man taking advantage of a vulnerable girl, or a man haunted by abuse in his past. The main actress did a great job of barely speaking any words throughout the film, and yet you felt like you knew and understood her. I didn't quite understand all of her intentions with the experiments she was doing, but for some reason I didn't have to understand why. With her attitude and few words, you believed that she believed in each of the men she interviewed. You may have not known why some said what they said, but you believed them.

I look forward to viewing more of Krasinskis' work. He does a wonderful job of mimicking a book's telling of a strange and yet very normal story. He took the simple task of men speaking their feelings to this woman, and made it into the complex story that it is. He helps us learn what is behind each story, and what it means to its teller.


No comments:

Post a Comment